Is your tofu boring? Try towel pressing it! Method at Olives for Dinner.
Here are eight foods/meals/ideas that we make ALL the time, especially with warmer weather coming. These take very little prep time, minimal ingredients, and have staying power. I think I consumed at least half of these in the last week! If you want staple food ideas beyond salads & tacos (my mainstays), try a couple of these out this summer :)
- almond parmesan, perfect for pasta & salads
- balsamic chickpeas
- tofu canadian bacon - if you hate tofu or have never tried it, you should start here
- simple flatbread, on which we make pizzas with at least once weekly
- caramel corn
- chocolate peanut butter cream, a fridge staple for me in the summer
- pimm’s cups morning noon and night ;P
- watermelon ice cubes, a freezer essential in the summer
10 VEGA SOURCE OF PROTEINMeat-eaters will never stop asking and vegans always get sick of hearing it:“How do you get your protein?”The image of a skinny (not to mention gangly and dread-headed) hippie has typically been the poster child of veganism. After all, there’s no way we can be muscular, fit and even bulky as vegans, right? Wrong.Vegan athletes like Brendan Brazier,Rich Roll, and Jimi Sitko are changing the negative stereotypes, proving that plant-based protein can not only build strong muscles, but can keep a vegan healthy enough to run, swim, bike, dance or pump iron – no flesh-eating necessary.So how do you get your protein? Here are 10 vegan sources to try on for size:
Still want to ask me where I get my protein? Yeah. That’s what I thought.
- Veggies: Yep, good old greens will pack a protein punch. One cup of cooked spinach has about 7 grams of protein. The same serving of French beans has about 13 grams. Two cups of cooked kale? 5 grams. One cup of boiled peas? Nine grams. You get the idea.
- Hemp. No, you don’t have to get high to get your protein. But toss 30 grams of hemp powder in your smoothie and get about 11 grams of protein – just like that.
- Non-Dairy Milk. Got (soy) milk? A mere 1 cup of soy or almond milk can pack about 7-9 grams of protein. Eat with some fortified cereal and you’ve got a totally vegan-friendly breakfast.
- Nut Butter. Eat up your peanut butter, almond butter and cashew butter. A couple of tablespoons of any one of these will get you 8 grams of protein.
- Quinoa. I kinda think quinoa is God’s gift to vegans (and gluten-free peeps!), as it’s versatile, delicious and delivers about 9 grams of protein per cup.
- Tofu. Four ounces of tofu will get you about 9 grams of protein. And at about 2 bucks a pop, it’s a cheap vegan’s BFF.
- Lentils. With lentils, you can make rice dishes, veggie burgers, casseroles and more. One cup cooked delivers a whopping 18 grams of protein!
- Beans. They really are the magical fruit. With one cup of pinto, kidney or black beans, you’ll get about 13-15 grams of protein, a full belly and heart-healthy fiber.
- Tempeh. One cup of tempeh packs abour 30 grams of protein! That’s more than 5 eggs or a regular hamburger patty.
- Sprouted-grain bread. Pack a sandwich with vegan sprouted-grain bread and you’ll get about 10 grams of protein in the bread alone.
Mango Butter, Mustard & Champagne Glazed Tofu
I am so excited to share this latest creation with you! Stay tuned for the recipe & inspiration behind it, coming soon!
Seared Sunrise Citrus Tofu Cubes for breakfast time..
Beer-battered tofu with vegan buttermilk ranch dressing from Meagen of Vegan Food Addict! These are AMAZING, right? Did you want her recipe? Because it’s here! I am in awe of these things, they look so good.
Meagen will compete in the Chicago Vegan Chef Showdown on Saturday, which you should definitely attend if you’re in the area. This event is FREE and ALL-AGES at the Funky Buddha Lounge (728 West Grand Ave.) from 3 to 7 p.m. and is co-sponsored by Mercy For Animals and Upton’s Naturals. Seitan! Chicago! At a bar so you can buy booze! If Chicago in July weren’t like literal hell on earth, I’d be totally envious of you guys. Hey maybe you want to show your support for the Vegan Food Addict with one of her vegan Cafepress designs?
Good luck, Meagen! Have fun, Chicago!