DIY - edible candy necklace (you could put a healthy twist on this and put on sugar-free snacks)
DIY One Hundred Healthy Snacks. On the list from Six Sisters’ Stuff here:
- Pecans (try five pecans roasted with 2 teaspoons maple syrup and 1 teaspoon cinnamon)
- Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- Honeyed Yogurt (½ cup nonfat Greek yogurt with a dash of cinnamon and 1 teaspoon honey)
- Ants on a Log (celery with peanut butter and raisins)
- Frozen Grapes
salted caramel almond pretzel popcorn
(adapted from Shutterbean)
12 c plain popped popcorn
3 c coarsely chopped small salted pretzels
1.5 c toasted almonds, roughly chopped
2 c sugar
2/3 c heavy cream
2 c miniature marshmallows
Butter a 9×13″ pan and set aside. In your largest bowl possible, dump in the popcorn, pretzels and almonds and toss so that everything is evenly mixed.
In a large saucepan, melt the sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a half cup of water and bring to a boil. Boil until the mixture turns into a golden caramel shade – about 8-12 minutes. Remove from heat and pour in the heavy cream – watch out, mixture will splurt! Add marshmallows and stir until melted.
Pour caramel over popcorn and use a wooden spoon to mix everything together. Dump the mixture into the prepared pan and press down on using slightly damp hands (helps to prevent stickiness), so that popcorn mixture is completely pressed into pan. Sprinkle with flakey kosher salt and let cool. Cut into bars. Otherwise, just enjoy the sweet, sweet crumbles and watch yourself turn into drooling, blubbering Homer Simpson. Look away because it isn’t pretty.
Jamaican Coffee Brownies with Pecans
The famous coffee flavors both the brownies and their ganache topping. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee is prized for its bold, clean flavor, but good espresso beans and strong brewed espresso work well, too.
- nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 2 cups sugar
- 15 tablespoons (2 sticks minus 1 tablespoon) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons finely ground Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee beans
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup pecan pieces
- 1 cup bittersweet or semisweet chocolate chips (6 ounces)
- 6 tablespoons freshly brewed Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee
- 30 thin strips crystallized ginger
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 13x9x2-inch metal pan with nonstick spray. Combine sugar, butter, cocoa, ground coffee, and salt in large metal bowl. Place bowl over saucepan of simmering water and whisk until butter melts and are blended (texture will be grainy). Remove bowl from over water; cool mixture to lukewarm if nexessary. Whisk in eggs and vanilla. Sift flour over and fold in. Mix in pecans.
- Spread batter in prepared pan. Bake brownies until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Cool brownies in pan.
- Place chocolate chips in small bowl. Bring brewed coffee to simmer in small saucepan; pour over chips and stir until melted and smooth. Let ganache stand until cool and beginning to thicken, about 1 hour; spread evenly over brownies. DO AHEAD can be made 1 day ahead. cover; let stand at room temperature.
- Cut brownies into 15 squares. Top each with 2 ginger strips.