Raspberry Rose Meringues
Yield: ~28 two-inch meringues Ingredients
3 large egg whites, room temperature
pinch of salt
1 package (3 ounces) Raspberry Jell-O
1/4 cup freeze-dried raspberries (optional)
1/4 cup (50 g) sugar
1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 200°F (94°C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Grind the sugar and freeze-dried raspberries in a food processor until it reaches a powdery consistency. (If not using freeze-dried raspberries, omit this step and add sugar on its own in step 3.)
3. Place the room temperature egg whites and salt in a grease-free bowl of an electric mixer fitted with whisk attachment. Beat on medium speed until frothy. Add the Jell-O and sugar mixture into the mixing bowl in a steady stream, and turn the mixer speed to med-high, beating until meringue is stiff, thick, and glossy — about 5 minutes.
4. Add the vanilla and mix until incorporated.
5. Place the meringue into a large pastry bag (such as 14”) fitted with 1M pastry tip (or other desired open star tip) and pipe the roses onto the baking sheets. Begin in the middle and, moving outwards, pipe 2 complete circles. Keep roses about 1 1/2” apart.
6. Bake for 2 hours, then turn off the oven and keep the trays in the oven overnight.