DIY Beet Blush and Lip Gloss
beet, blood orange, kumquat, and quinoa salad.
Beet and Carrot Smoothie (aka Fruit and Vegetable Smoothie)
Makes 2 servings (about 1 1/2 cups each)
I made this smoothie this morning for breakfast as part of the food detox that I am doing this week. I felt like it really gave me an energy boost and got the day started off on the right foot. To save time this morning, I steamed the beets and carrots last night and kept them in a container in the fridge.
1 small red beet (equivalent to 1/2 cup), peeled and coarsely chopped
1 medium-sized carrot, peeled and coarsely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
1 sweet apple, such as Honeycrisp or Pink Lady, coarsely chopped
1 ripe pear, such as red Bartlett or red D’Anjou, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
2 cups water
Step One: Steam beets and carrots until tender, about 10 minutes. Let cool to room temperature.
Step Two: Combine all ingredients in a blender, and blend until smooth.
Source: Whole Living, “25 Quick and Easy Smoothie Recipes.” View the recipe on WholeLiving.com.
Vegan Chocolate Beet Cupcakes
1 1/4 cups sorghum flour
1/4 cup + 1 T. arrow root starch
1 1/4 t. xanthan gum
2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. cinnamon
1/2 cup cocoa
3 small, 2 medium, or 1 large beet, boiled until soft and pureed in a food processor
Unsweetened apple sauce
1 t. vanilla
1/2 cup oil
1 t. apple cider vinegar
1 cup palm sugar
1/4 cup agave
- Preheat the oven to 325°.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients.
- Place pureed beets in a 2 cup measure. Add enough applesauce to fill the measuring cup to 1 1/2 cups. Pour into a large bowl.
- Add the rest of the wet ingredients to the large bowl. Whisk well.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until mixture is smooth. It will be thick.
- Spoon into 12-14 muffin cups and smooth tops.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool completely and frost with Chocolate Coconut Ganache
Chocolate Coconut Ganache
1 cup full fat coconut milk or coconut cream (not the sweetened variety – just the higher fat percentage variety)
8 ounces finely chopped dark chocolate (check label for dairy)
- Place the finely chopped chocolate in a heat-proof bowl.
- In a saucepan, heat the coconut milk until simmering.
- Pour hot coconut milk over chopped chocolate. Allow to stand, undisturbed for 10 minutes.
- Stir until completely smooth. At this point you will have a shiny pourable ganache. You can use as is or…
- Whip with electric beaters until thick and spreadable.